A little introduction, My name is Mel, I’m a wedding photographer & founder of Psealms, who works almost exclusively in Darwin. One of my recent works has been published in VOGUE Weddings, and I have shot many epic love stories around Darwin. So I believe I’m in the right position to write this guide.
Let’s get into it. Grab a snack & enjoy reading.
Darwin City Business District
Darwin is a city known for its golden hour, cotton candy skies, and stunning beaches.
And I get it, 99% of my couples want to have a sunset photo, and I agree this is a MUST! But, also consider something less traditional, there’s so many more epic locations in Darwin:
Personal Favorite: Darwin CBD!
If you want to go the non-traditional way, this one’s for you! Darwin CBD
There’s a lot of fun & quirky alleyways, romantic bars / cafes and really just the road Cavenagh St & Smith St can be epic & pretty during sunset hours, when the last light peaks through the tall buildings. Check out few of Psealms snaps, to get inspired:
Get your daily fix of Northern Territory beauty by following us on Instagram
Join our Newsletter List
Be the first to get travel hints and local recommendations.
If you’re local or even a tourist visiting Darwin, I’m sure you’ve passed by some of these locations, but never think of it as where you’ll be getting the portraits done:
- Browns Mart
- Town Hall Ruins
- Old Darwin Courthouse
Side note: you’re probably close to having your hen’s party 🎊 we have a great guide to the perfect NT hen’s party. Click here for inspiration on your perfect night with your family and friends celebrating. And! Don’t forget you’ll need to book a place for your family coming from out of town for your wedding. We highly recommend Villa Marina Darwin. A luxury spot for your special family members that you’d like to have an amazing time in the Northern Territory! Follow them on Instagram here.
Gardens Road and Darwin Botanical Garden
Next, I’ll be taking you to the lush & beautiful greenery spots:
- Garden’s Road
- Botanical Garden
- And my secret little spot, which is no longer a secret. Shade Garden in Jervois Road.
Darwin Sunset Photo Shots
Of course, last but not least, we can’t complete this list without the beautiful sunset spot to take your wedding/elopement photos.
Here are my top 5 sunset photo locations:
- East Point
- Dripstone Cliff
- Little Mindil
- Behind Museum of Art & Gallery NT
Things to consider when you planning your portraits
- Make sure you hire a car to take you around with your wedding gang
- Check the sunset hours and communicate with your photographer. Your photographer should be able to give you insight of what they think best & probably can scout the location beforehand for you. At least that’s what I do for all my couples.
- Check the day & season. Some of these sites are tourist hotspots, and can be very busy in dry season and weekends. You should expect some extra time to get a nice clean background – there are few situations where even the post-editing can’t help.
- Have fun!